While you are away, your pet can stay here with us. We offer a clean, modern pet boarding facility on the southwest side of Fort Wayne, Indiana (Aboite area), 46804. A distinct advantage of boarding your pet at Westside is the availability of medical care if the need arises. We monitor your pet closely for appetite, urine and stool output, and for medical problems while here. In fact, we have a full-time kennel attendant dedicated to the boarding areas.
The entire kennel is fully heated and air-conditioned. Dogs and cats are housed in completely separate areas that are sound-proofed from one another. We are happy to give tours of the kennel weekdays between 1:30 p.m. and 2:30 p.m.
The canine kennel consists of indoor runs that vary in size from 4 ft. x 8 ft. to 4 ft. x 11 ft. Runs have an automatic water dish system and have heated floors during cold weather.
Cats are housed in individual cages of various sizes, some of which include a shelf to jump up onto. We try to vary cats' cages from day to day for variety.
Important Boarding Information:
- Dogs and cats must be current on Distemper and Rabies vaccinations. Dogs are also required to have had a kennel cough vaccination within the last 12 months. Puppies and kittens must have a completed vaccination series before boarding; puppy and kitten series are not typically complete until 15-16 weeks of age. If we are not your pet's regular provider of medical care, please bring documentation of vaccination with you.
- If your pet is on a a special diet or medication, please bring enough for the duration of their stay with you. We feed Science Diet Feline Maintenance to cats and Purina Gastroenteric to dogs.
- There is no extra charge for giving your pet medications with the exception of insulin injections. If your pet is diabetic, please ask about the fees involved. We can give oral medications up to twice daily.
- Animals are provided with clean bedding each day; please do not bring your own. Many small toys can get lost in the drains at the back of the canine runs. If you choose to bring toys for your pet, please do not bring valuable or sentimental items.
- Please write down any special instructions or concerns you have for your pet. We make every effort to honor reasonable requests. If you would like to have your pet examined by the doctor while here, please tell a receptionist when you drop off your pet.
- Please keep in mind that boarding away from home and family can be stressful for pets. Some pets may not eat well in a kennel environment or may develop problems such as vomiting or diarrhea while here. We make special effort to spend extra time with pets who seem anxious or stressed. On occasion, some pets are moved to our hospital area, which tends to be quieter. We monitor pets' weights if they are boarding 7 or more nights; we may supplement feeding or assist feeding if pets are losing weight or are eating poorly. The doctor may prescribe medication if vomiting or diarrhea become a problem.
- Pick-up and drop-off are during our normal business hours.